- Use keyword when your term may be very new, very distinctive,
or jargon, e.g. "cyberspace", "HTML".
- Use a variety of keywords. There may be additional items on your
topic that use different terms.
- Be aware that you may retrieve items not related to your topic
(called false drops)
- When you cannot remember the exact title of an item, do a keyword
search using the title words you remember.
- New topics such as "sustainable architecture" may not
yet be included in the library's special list of terms.
- Using the appropriate subject heading for a topic will retrieve all items
in the database indexed under that topic.
- If you do not know the appropriate subject heading for your topic,
conduct a keyword search first and look at the subject heading(s)
of a relevant item.